Chennai’s India Cements team wins the most sought after player Mahendra Singh Dhoni in the first round of IPL auction while Adam Gilchrist is captured by Deccan Chronicle of Hyderabad. High profile teams like Mumbai, Bengaluru and Delhi teams failed to win a single bid in the first round of Indian Premier League cricket auction. IPL auction is going on at Hilton towers in Mumbai.
IPL First round auction results:
1. M.S.Dhoni – Chennai team– 6 crore.
2. Muralidharan – Chennai team–2.4 crore- Strategic investment.
3. Shane Warne – Jaipur team– 1.8 crore.
4. Mahela Jayawardene – Mohali team- 1.9 crore.
5. Adam Gilchrist – Hyderabad team- 2.8 crore.
6. Shoaib Akthar – Kolkata team– 1.7 crore.
Icons in the IPL:
1. Sachin Tendulkar – Mumbai.
2. Rahul Dravid – Bengaluru.
3. Sourav Ganguly – Kolkata.
4. Virender Sehwag – Delhi.
5. Yuvraj Singh – Mohali.
Icon players will get 15% more money than the biggest bidder in their team. So these players will definitely get lesser amount than Indian One day captain Mahendra Singh Dhoni. Hyderabad team strategically didn’t give Laxman an iconic status due to his less marketing value.
Humorous note: Breaking news in one channel – Preity Zinta bought Mahela Jayawardene in the auction.