Chennai Super kings bought England all-rounder Andrew Flintoff while Bangalore Royal Challengers captured Kevin Pietersen. JP Duminy of South Africa as expected became a surprise pack and was bought by Mumbai Indians. Both Kevin Pietersen and Andrew Flintoff are now most expensive players in IPL. They have overthrown Indian Captain MS Dhoni as the most expensive players.
Indian Premier League auction was held today in Goa and 8 franchisees are participating in the auction for the 17 slots. England players are getting lot of attention due to their vast experience in the Twenty20 cricket. All these contracts are valid for 2 years.
South African all-rounder Tyron Henderson surprised everyone by getting Rs 3.18 crore in the auction. Rajasthan Royals won the bid facing stiff competition from Hyderabad Deccan Chargers.
Bangladesh fast bowler Mashrafe Mortaza is another surprise pack. Mortaza was picked by Kolkata IPL after intense bidding war with Mohali IPL for 2.9 crore. Kolkata and Mohali fought intensely during auction for this lower order hitter and strike bowler. 12 times his base price – Unbelievable!
IPL auction 2 results:
1. Kevin Pietersen: Bangalore Royal Challengers for $1.55 million (Rs 7.35 crore).
2. Andrew Flintoff: Chennai Superkings for $1.55 million.
3. JP Duminy (South Africa): Mumbai Indians picked him for $9,50,000 (Rs 4.5 crore).
4. Shaun Tait: Rajasthan Royals bought him for for $3,75,000.
5. Owais Shah (England): Delhi Daredevils bought for $2,75,000.
6. Paul Collingwood (England): Delhi Daredevils bought for $2,75,000 (Rs 1.34 crore).
7. Fidel Edwards: Hyderabad IPL bought him for $1,50,000. Hyderaabd needs a strike bowler desperately.
Stay tuned for more updates.
8. Tyron Henderson: South African all-rounder was bought by Rajasthan Royals for $6,50,000. Another surprise pack in the auction. Will he justify his huge price tag on Indian pitches?
9. Ravi Bopara (England): He was bought Punjab Kings Eleven for $4,50,000.
10. Thulan Thushara (Sri Lanka): Chennai Super Kings bought him for $1,40,000. Chennai may play some matches in Colombo. It is bidding aggressively for Sri Lankan players.
11. Jesse Ryder (New Zealand): Bangalore bought him for $1,60,000.
12. Kylie Mills (New Zealand): Mumbai Indians bought him for $1,50,000.
13. Dwayne Smith (West Indies): Hyderabad IPL bought him for $1,00,000.
14. Mashrafe Mortaza (Bangladesh): Kolkata Knight Riders bought Bangladesh pace bowler for $6,00,000. Kolkata may play some games in Dhaka in IPL 2009 and 2010. Unbelievable price! auction time: 20 minutes. Base price for Mortaza is just $50,000. Is there any method in this madness?
15. George Bialey (Australia): Chennai bought him for $50,000.
16. Jerome Taylor (West Indies): Punjab Kings Eleven bought him for $1,50,000.
17. Mohammad Ashraful (Bangladesh): Mumbai picked him for just $75,000.
Unsold players in the auction:
Stuart Clark, Ramnaresh Sarwan, Dilshan, Kupugdera, Brad Haddin, Phil Jacques, Luke Wright, Kulasekara, Ashwell Prince, McGain, Andre nel, Samit Patel, Sakib-Al-Hasan, Van Wyk, Dominic Thornley, Noffke, Darren Powell, James Franklin, Prasanna Jayawardene, Klinger, Ghulam Bodi, Daniel Harris, Michael Dighton, Brett Greeves, Michael Hill, Tamim Iqbal, Roach, Abdullah and Michael Clarke.
Franchisees have shown little interest in Australian players due to their non-availability for most of the tournament. Franchisees will pick 8 players of their choice after the auction as replacements for Pakistan players.
- IPL 2009 auction on February 6 in Goa
- DLF IPL Cricket auction: second and third rounds
- IPL 2009 auction: Latest news updates
- Indian Premier League auction results: Fourth round
- Indian Premier League cricket first round auction results
- Second league of auction on March 11
- IPO Team analysis: Chennai Super kings