Kolkata IPL team crushed Bangalore Royal Challengers (test team) in a one sided twenty20 match at Chinnaswamy stadium in Bangalore. Kolkata defeated Bangalore by a big margin of 140 runs. Batting first, Kolkata IPL scored 222/3 in 20 overs thanks to magnificent 158 not out by Brendon McCullum. But Ricky Ponting and Sourav Ganguly failed to entertain the crowds. In response, Bangalore IPL was all out for 82 runs in 15.1 overs. Bangalore people may find it difficult to digest their team’s lack of fighting spirit. Except all-rounder Praveen kumar, not even a single Bangalore batsman has shown minimum fighting spirit and application in facing Kolkata Knight Riders. Shahrukh Khan is the happiest man on earth after seeing the wonderful all-round performance by his team. Kolkata IPL outclassed Bangalore IPL in batting, bowling and fielding.
Bangalore challengers started their innings in horrible way by losing 4 wickets for 24 runs in 6 overs. Test stars like Rahul Dravid, Jacques Kallis and Wasim Jaffer failed miserably along with Indian under-19 captain Virat Kohli. India young sensation, Ishant Sharma terrorised Dravid, Kallis and Jaffer in his initial overs. Even experienced hard hitter Mark Boucher fell cheaply to Kolkata captain Sourav Ganguly.
IPL started in a spectacular fashion at Chinnaswamy stadium which was well attended by famous cricket dignitaries. Music show by Shankar Mahadevan and Laser show enthralled the Bangalore crowds. But McCullum innings overshadowed all these things.
1. Brendon McCullum gave sensational start to this prestigious tournament by hitting 18 runs in the Zaheer Khan’s over. He hit 10 fours and 13 sixers in his memorable innings.
2. Sourav Ganguly and Rahul Dravid clearly struggled in their brief stay at crease and these icons are big burden for their franchisees (That’s why Dhoni doesn’t like these seniors).
3. Bangalore cricket lovers may find it difficult to forget wonderful century by Brendon McCullum.
4. Praveen Kumar is the only Bangalore batsman to reach double digits in their innings. He is the only bangalore bowler who troubled Kolkata batsmen in his first spell.
1. This twenty20 match will be remembered forever as the first game of Indian premier League Cricket tournament.
2. Brendon McCullum scored first century of IPL cricket tournament.
3. McCullum’s 158 is highest ever score in the twenty20 cricket history.
4. McCullum hit highest number of sixers (13 sixers) in a single 20-20 innings.
5. Cameroon White gave 24 runs in a single over. IPL record.
Kolkata Knight Riders: 222/3 in 20 overs.
Bangalore Royal Challengers: 82 all out in 15.1 overs.
Sourav Ganguly (Captain), Brendon McCullum (Wicket keeper), Ricky Ponting, Mohammad Hafeez, David Hussey, Debabrata Das, W. Saha, Ajit Agarkar, Ishant Sharma, Murali Karthik and Laxmi Ratan Shukla.
Rahul Dravid (Captain), Mark Boucher (Wicket Keeper), Cameroon White, Jacques Kallis, Wasim Jaffer, B. Akhil, Virat Kohli, Ashley Noffke, Zaheer Khan, Sunil Joshi and Praveen Kumar.
My opinion: Rahul Dravid and other managers misguided energetic Vijay Mallya in selecting ideal twenty20 team for Royal Challengers. They picked wonderful test team. Vijay Mallya was deceived by these cricket brains. Dravid should learn lessons from Laxman (Laxman sacrificed his iconic status for the benefit of his team). Mallya learned a big cricket lesson in the best possible way.
IPL authorities may have felt happy after seeing superb century by Brendon McCullum but unhappy after seeing worst performance by Bangalore IPL team.